The Meridians is a character growth system in Age of Wushu. It is based upon Ancient Chinese beliefs of the flowing of Chi through the body, which is directly related to modern day acupuncture. Unlocking and cultivating these Meridian channels allows the player to further increase their character's stats.
There are 17 different Meridians in the game. Each Great School has its own associated Meridian. Initially, players can only have 3 active Meridians. The number of active Meridians can be increased to a maximum of 8 by consuming Ganoderma Pills. Artifact items can be used to add an additional stat boost to each Meridian.
Chi (also known as Qi) act as the experience points required to cultivate Meridians to higher levels. Players under VIP status gain 5 times more Chi than non-VIP players.
There are multiple ways to gain Chi:
- All activities that give Experience will give Chi as well (if the Experience is at the cap of 999, the player will not gain any Chi from these activities)
- Performing Life Skill activities and reading Life Skill books.
- Dealing damage with combat skills; the amount of Chi gained is related to damage dealt, the target the player is hitting and the type of skill in use (single-target locking skills tend to give more Chi than AOE non-targeting skills). The Chi reaped from exterminating mobs is minimal.
- Using Chi Pills such as Xuan Spirit Pills.
Types of Meridians
There are different types of Meridians, each one having their own stat boosts, acupoint opening requirements, and Artifact item.
|Category||Meridian||Notable stat boosts|
|Dantian||Qi Gathering in Tanden||HP and Energy Recovery.|
|School||Emei||Greater Yin Lung Hand||High Dodge. Speeds up Energy Recovery by 1 second.|
|Wanderer's Valley||Lesser Yang Sanjiao Hand||High Spirit. Internal Critical Damage and Accuracy.|
|Beggar's Sect||Greater Yang Small Intestine||High Stamina. Internal Critical Hit Rate and Accuracy.|
|Wudang||Lesser Yin Kidney Foot||High Energy. External & Internal Critical Hit Rate.|
|Scholars||Reverting Yin Liver||High Breath. Internal Critical Hit Rate and Accuracy.|
|Tangmen||Greater Yin Spleen Foot||High Dodge. High Dexterity. External Critical Damage.|
|Royal Guards||Lesser Yang Gallbladder Foot||High Brawn. Speeds up HP Recovery by 1 second.|
|Shaolin||Yang Brightness Stomach Foot||High HP. External Accuracy.|
|Ming Cult||jm_shouyangming||High HP. External & Internal Accuracy.|
|Tianshan Sect||jm_zutaiyang||High Spirit. External & Internal Accuracy.|
|Mystery Manual||Yin Heel Vessel|
|Yang Heel Vessel|
|Yin Qiao Veins|
|Yang Rocker Veins|
Each Meridian has its own acupoints that can be opened. Acupoints can only be opened in an ascending order. For example, the third acupoint cannot be opened until the first and second have been opened. Opening a Meridian's acupoint will increase the Meridian's maximum level and improves the maximum effectiveness of an Artifact item. There are two ways to open acupoints:
- Cultivating a specific Internal Skill to a certain level.
- Reading a Manual of the Core script.
Internal Skill requirements
To open each acupoint, only one of the listed Internal Skill requirements needs to be satisfied.
Studying Meridian Reversal scripts will allow the player to unlock high level acupoints. The Meridian Reversal script can only be read after unlocking the fifth acupoint and cultivating the Meridian to level 180.
Artifacts (also known as Rare Herbs) are items that can be used to add an additional permanent stat boost to a Meridian. Each Meridian uses a different Artifact. Artifacts can be obtained from chests in Forbidden Instances and Influence Challenges.
The stat boost provided by an Artifact is random, and the maximum value depends on the number of opened acupoints. The player must pay 10L Silver Coins or 10L Taels when using an Artifact. The currency choice will affect the result:
- When using Silver Coins, the Meridian will gain a random stat boost. The new stat boost will replace the previous boost even if the new stat boost is weaker than the previous one.
- When using Taels, the Meridian will gain a random stat boost. The new stat boost will replace the previous boost only if the new stat boost is stronger than the previous one.
Qi gathering in Tanden Meridian will boost 5 stats while each School Meridian will do this for 6 different ones. The summary of stats boosted can be seen in the table below. It is to be noted that this only applies if the corresponding Meridian is active (has a 'tick' by its name).
|STAT||Qi gathering in Tanden||Yang Brightness Stomach Foot Meridian (Shaolin)||Lesser Yin Kidney Foot Meridian (Wudang)||Greater Yin Lung Hand Meridian (Emei)||Greater Yang Small Intestine Meridian of Hand (Beggar's Sect)||Reverting Yin Liver Foot Meridian (Scholars)||Greater Yin Spleen Foot Meridian (Tangmen)||Lesser Yang Gallbladder Foot Meridian (Royal Guards)||Lesser Yang Sanjiao Hand Meridian (Wanderer's Valley)|
|HP Recovery Speed||Yes||Yes|
|Energy Recovery Speed||Yes|
|Ignore Internal Defense||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ignore Internal Parry||Yes|
|Ignore External Defense||Yes|
|Internal Skill Defense||Yes|
|Internal Attack Accuracy||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Internal Attack Critical Hit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|External Attack Accuracy||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|External Attack Critical Hit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
And there is more: after training up to Rank 36 for each School Meridian, an additional effect will be granted!
|Shaolin||Reduce Critical Damage received|
|Wudang||Increase Internal Parry|
|Emei||Increase Energy Recovery Speed (%)|
|Beggar's Sect||Reduce Critical Damage received (%)|
|Scholars||Ignore Internal Parry|
|Tangmen||Increase External Attack Critical Damage (%)|
|Royal Guards||Increase HP Recovery Speed|
|Wanderer's Valley||Increase Internal Attack Critical Damage (%)|
As a Meridian becomes more cultivated and more acupoints opened through Internal Skill cultivations, a player will collect Skill Points.
First acupoint activation gives no skill point; opening of each subsequent one along the meridian gives 1 skill point. These points are used in the Wushu Skills section within the 'Meridians info' interface and will allow players more customizing options between actions.
Skill Points can be spent to open up Skill Slots and learn 'Skills' (actually - some combo chains). There are 8 Skill Slots available in total. Their Skill Point requirements are:
- Slot 1 - 1 Point
- Slot 2 - 2 Points
- Slot 3 - 4 Points
- Slot 4 - 8 Points
- Slot 5 - 16 Points
- Slot 6 - 32 Points
- Slot 7 - 64 Points
- Slot 8 - 128 Points
Under the 'Skill' Selection, each icon corresponds to a combo chain, i.e. a combination of skills belonging to one of the three school skillsets. Players can reset their 'Skills' selection anytime, by spending 100 Liang Silver, resetting also reduces the daily limit.
By learning some 'Skills', the shared cooldown time of 1.5 seconds between the specified 2 skills will be removed, meaning that, after casting the first skill, the player is immediately able to cast the second one - without waiting for 1.5 seconds.
For example, the 'Skill' for Falling Flower Sword style of Scholar is Hero's Tears followed by Flying Swallow Returns. This combo chain's content and its skills' casting order (it will be skill no. 1 before skill no. 2, not the other way round) are fixed and cannot be chosen by the player.
Meridian section of the Martial Art Skill Book has three parts:
- the left side
- Meridians grouped in categories
- Selected Meridian's acupoints
- the central one will display data about the Meridian selected in the left side, such as:
- its name
- its icon (with detailed description when mouseover)
- its current reached and maximum Rank (Zhoutian)
- Artifact icon - rare herbs which can be used to improve Meridians' cultivation
- toggle button to Activate/Close Meridian
- graphical representation of the Meridian, its human body location and its acupoints
- its selected (in the left side) acupoint
- the circular blue-filling Chi Gauge, showing amount of Chi earned and needed for ...
- five icons for non-implemented functions
- toggle button to Discipline/Stop cultivation
- the right side is about the Wushu Skills:
- Skill slots
- Confirm button
- Reset button
- Skill selection